TCOYD’s resident nutrition expert Janice Baker has a helpful tip for eating smart and taking control of your diabetes – and your diet!
Nothing is more frustrating than finding nothing but bare cupboards in your kitchen at dinner time. Here are five great items to always have on hand to insure you are eating healthy – and enjoying it.
1. Canned beans- a variety- including black beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans- high in fiber, protein
2. Good quality olive oil- for cooking and drizzling on salads
3. Old fashioned oatmeal- always a great breakfast- top with chopped nuts and fresh fruit
4. A variety of no- salt/sugar added canned fruits and vegetables- can be used in many dishes or as a side dish
5. Tea- of any variety- full of health benefits, hydrating, no calories and inexpensive. Just add hot water!
Eat and live healthy, and make sure to watch the latest episode of TCOYD on UCSD-TV, “Diabetes Doesn’t Slow Me Down.” Or watch it online now!
Janice Baker MBA, RD, CDE, CNSC is a registered dietitian, certifieddiabetes educator, and certified nutrition support clinician. Visit her online at Baker Nutrition.